Information we receive about you
We receive a number of different types of information about you, including:
Your information is the information that’s required when you sign up for the site, as well as the information you choose to share.
- Registration information:
When you sign up for HashChing, you are required to provide information such as your name, email address, and phone number. In some cases, you may be able to register using other information, like your facebook or twitter account. If you are signing up to become a verified mortgage broker on HashChing, you are required to provide information on your business and yourself for verification purposes.
- Information you choose to share:
Your information also includes the information you choose to share on HashChing, such as when you post a question or comment on someone’s question
It also includes the information you choose to share when you communicate with us, such as when you contact us using an email address, or when you take an action, such as when you select a company, like a Page or a website, or add a place to your story.
If you’re interested in finding out more about the financial deal/s on HashChing website and you provide us the consent to share your information with the broker by clicking on the checkbox ‘Contact Me’ once you click “Submit”, we share your details with that broker only unless the assigned broker does not meet our service level standards or you request us to assign you a different broker.
Your name, profile pictures, phone number, and email ID are treated just like information you choose to make public. Your email ID and phone number is not disclosed to anyone unless requested by the company you reviewed, where a legal claim has been made.
We may provide aggregated data to our advertising partners or customers only after we have removed your name and any other personally identifying information from it, or have combined it with other people’s data in a way that it no longer personally identifies you. We may provide your details to the company you reviewed using hashtag (#), if the company reported your feedback to us and requests to confirm if you ever used their product or service.
If you logon to HashChing website through your facebook or twitter account, your comment might get shared with your social network, depending on your facebook or twitter account settings.
When we use the phrase “public information” (which we sometimes refer to as “Everyone information”), we mean the information you choose to make public, as well as information that is always publicly available
Information you choose to make public
- can be associated with you (i.e., your name, profile pictures, etc.) even off HashChing
- can show up when someone does a search on HashChing or on a public search engine
- will be accessible to the HashChing-integrated applications, and websites you and your friends use and
- will be accessible to anyone who uses our authenticated APIs.
Sometimes you will not be able to select an audience when you post something (like when you write on a Page’s wall by tagging a company or comment on a review). This is because some types of stories are always public stories.
When others share information about you, they can also choose to make it public.
Information that is always publicly available
The types of information listed below are always publicly available, and they are treated just like information you decided to make public:
- Name:You can choose to have your display name, if you are not comfortable sharing your full name.
- Profile Picture:If you are uncomfortable making any of these photos public, you can always delete them. If you logon using your facebook or twitter account, your profile picture will be used from your social media site account.
- Email ID:These allow you to give out a custom link to your timeline or Page, receive email from HashChing email address, and help make HashChing Platform possible
How we collect personal information
We collect personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you, for example, when you provide information by phone, in application forms or other agreements, or when you submit your personal details through our websites;
- from third parties such as our survey or competition websites, marketing websites, related companies, blogs
- from publicly available sources of information
- from the organisations and entities identified under ‘When we disclose your personal information’
- from our own records
- when you visit our websites
- when legally required to do so – for example, in the provision of specific credit services and
- from third parties who have gained your details for the purpose of marketing.
If we obtained your information through any of these methods and you would like a list of these entities or websites, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. If you feel you have not given us consent to use your details, please email us at email@example.com
How we use the information we receive
- verify your identity
- assist you to gain approval or provision of a product or service
- provide the services you require
- administer and manage those services such as payments
- inform you of ways the services provided to you could be improved or additional services that you may benefit from
- research and develop our services provided, either directly or referred
- gain an understanding of your information and credit or financial needs in order for us to provide you with a better service.
Your personal information is collected so that we, and our related entities can promote and market services to you (including by way of direct mail, telemarketing, email, SMS and MMS messages). This is to keep you informed of products, services and special offers and we may continue after you cease holding an active product or service through us. We may also market our products to you through third party channels (such as social networking sites). We will always let you know that you can opt out from receiving our third party marketing.
Where we market to prospective customers, we will always provide an easy way to opt-outs.
With your consent, we may disclose your personal information to third parties such as brokers or agents, or for the purpose of connecting you with other businesses or customers. You can ask us not to do this at any time.
We will never sell your personal information to any external organisation.
We will not use or disclose sensitive information about you for direct marketing purposes unless you have consented to that kind of use or disclosure.
Law and Harm:
Non-Private or Non-Personal Information:
We may share or disclose your non-private, aggregated or otherwise non-personal information, such as your public user profile information, public review, your question posted on HashChing, or the number of users who clicked on a particular link (even if only one did).
When we disclose your personal information
We will never sell your information to any party outside of HashChing. One of our primary business goals is to provide Australians with access to better credit and financial products. In order to deliver the services you require, we may disclose your personal information to organisations outside of HashChing. Your personal information is disclosed to these organisations only in relation to us providing our services to you.
We use external organisations to carry out our:
- customer enquiries
- billing and debt-recovery functions
- information technology services
- marketing and telemarketing
- market research and
- website usage analysis.
This means we disclose your personal information (such as name and suburb) to them. We take reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
In addition, we may disclose your personal information to:
- your assigned mortgage broker verified by HashChing or your legal advisers (e.g. when requested by you to do so)
- Australian Banks, non-bank lenders and providers of credit, financial or insurance services
- our related companies
- our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers
- other comparison sites, mortgage brokers or providers of investment, financial or credit where legal for us to do so
- government and regulatory authorities and other organisations under which we are governed, such as ASIC as required or authorised by law; and
- organisations who manage our business, marketing and corporate strategies.
Some of the above external organisations and entities may be located outside of Australia. You should note that while they will often be subject to confidentiality or privacy obligations, they may not always follow the particular requirements of Australian privacy laws. Overseas organisations may be required to disclose information we share with them under a foreign law. In those instances, we will not be responsible for that disclosure.
We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you or others provided to us.
If you wish to make any changes to your personal information, please contact us. We will generally rely on you to assist us in informing us if the information we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete.
You may request access to the personal information we hold about you by contacting us. We will respond to your request within a reasonable period. We will give access in the manner you have requested if it is reasonable to do so. We may deny you access to your personal information in certain circumstances, for example, if required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order, or it would be likely to prejudice enforcement related activities by an enforcement body.
If we decide not to give you access, we will provide reasons for the refusal and information on how you can complain about the refusal.
Storage and security
We store information in different ways, including in paper and electronic form. The security of your personal information is important to us and we take reasonable steps to protect it from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Some of the ways we do this are:
- confidentiality requirements of our employees
- document storage security policies
- security measures for access to our systems
- only giving access to personal information to a person who is verified to be able to receive that information
- control of access to our buildings and
- electronic security systems, such as firewalls and data encryption on our websites.
We may store your information in cloud or other types of networked or electronic storage. As electronic or networked storage can be accessed from anywhere via an internet connection, it is not always practicable to know in which country your information may be held. If your information is stored in this way, disclosures may occur in countries other than those listed here or those we referred to from time.
In addition to the above, we also regularly review developments in security and encryption technologies. However, it is important to remember that the use of email and the internet may not always be secure, even with these safeguards in place.
When we no longer require your information, and we are legally permitted to, we take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify the information. However, sometimes it is impossible or impractical to completely isolate the information then completely remove all traces of the information, and we may store the information for future use, such as to help resolve disputes between us or assess future applications by you.
Deleting and deactivating your account
If you want to stop using your account, you can delete it by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with an “Account deletion request” subject.
When you delete your account, it is permanently deleted from HashChing. It typically takes about one month to delete an account, but some information may remain in backup copies and logs for up to 90 days.
Certain information is needed to provide you with services, so we only delete this information after you delete your account. Some of the things you do on HashChing aren’t stored in your account, like posting to a group or sending someone a message (where your friend may still have a message you sent, even after you delete your account). That information remains after you delete your account.
Business without identifying you
In most circumstances, it will be necessary for us to identify you in order to successfully do business with you. However, where it is lawful and practicable to do so, we will provide you with the option to remain anonymous or to use a pseudonym, for example, when you make general inquiries about our business or current promotional offers.
We do not adopt a government related identifier (such as your tax file number or your driver’s licence number) as a means of identifying you.
We are constantly reviewing all of our policy and attempt to keep up to date with market expectations. Technology is constantly changing, as is the law and market place practices.
By providing your email address and then clicking submit on any online application, calculator, tool or query, you consent to receiving notices and other documents from us by email to the email address provided, and you understand that that if you give this consent:
- we may no longer send you paper copies of notices and other documents
- you should regularly check your email address for documents and
- you may withdraw your consent to receiving documents by email at any time.
You also confirm that you have the facilities to print any notice or document that we send you by email, if desired.
As an Australian based and registered business HashChing is at all time subject to all rights and responsibilities as published in the Australian Privacy Act 1988.
Privacy disputes and/or claims should be lodged via the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). See www.oaic.gov.au for further detail.